Sunday, January 15, 2012

Computer Geekese isn't easy to understand.

I know. I have been out of the loop for a while and I am getting back into it and I am finding myself going hunh? every few minutes or so when I start to read what they are saying. Also, when I hear another builder say, "Do your research on what you want, then buy." I be screaming. Yes, I know that research is good. Yes, it has helped, but seriously, computer builders have this body of knowledge that is locked up inside them ready to pour out. The only problem is it comes out in Geekese. That is, only another builder or Geek can translate, usually to a budding Geek. When they say, do your research, they really mean, "I can't stand here and give you the benefit of my superior knowledge because I have no control over it. It comes out as Geekese even when speaking slowly and plainly."

Well, I am going to build a computer. I have done it before professionally and I KNOW I can do it now. If I start spouting Geekese, I have a beautiful wife to set me straight.

Well, to start. Yes. Research. The man says research. Well, I am going to do research and I am going to post it down. Including any buys that I get. At the end, I will build my computer and present it to the world. Hopefully it will be very fast and cool looking.

In this series of posts, I will be dealing with desktop computers. I don't really have anything against lap tops, just that they aren't for me. At least not yet.

Any superficial look at computers from the eighties to now, comes up with two or three things.

First:

      A simple desktop computer comes with computer in a box, a keyboard and mouse, and a monitor.

Second:

      Everything varies from that point on.

Third:

      The internet arrived. Not to be confused with the Local Area Network. (aka LAN).


I will take each one on individually and explain the crucial differences as I go.

As I said in the earlier post, I do not claim and will never claim that I am the end-all, be-all  GURU of computers. I am tech-savvy in that I can identify parts and put together a computer. As for being a GURU, I am at a lost several times a day when I am dealing with computers. I am not a GURU.

Now, on to the research!!

Next Post: Mother-Boards with English translations.


No comments:

Post a Comment