Monday, January 16, 2012

MotherBoards with English Translations.

Hello again. Yep, I have done my research. I looked high and low for them. Do you know what I found out? There are eleventy-billion of em out there. Sheesh. More every day. What to do, what to do? Wait a second!! I read and heard some where that there are two major styles of computers that are non-Apple.

It has to do with the Computer Processing Unit socket. Hmmmm. AMD and Intel have their own styles and those two companies come up time and again.

AMD must be a strong company to be challenging Intel. Intel has been around since the beginning and they are constantly innovating and getting speedier. But there is a trade off. AMD is far more concerned with stability and affordable pricing. They are not as speedy as Intel, but they are reliable and the sockets don't change year to year.

Whoa, sockets!.... hmmm, yep sockets! AMD mostly stays with the same style socket each year but gets the chip itself speedier. Intel changes sockets well about as fast as GEEKS change socks. errr. maybe not. Well, suffice it to say, Intel has many Computer Processing Units with many major changes in sockets. Sometimes major changes in the same year. The ones I looked at have at least three four different sockets. An 1155, 1156, 1366 and 2011.

Just google AMD vs Intel. You will find that most of them gush and giggle about Intel. AMD actually is comparable. Just that more people have been using Intel and brand loyalty and brand recognition is involved. I am going with Intel btw. Not because of brand loyalty. I want to upgrade later to an Ivy Bridge CPU and find out what that is all about. IVY BRIDGE? you wonder. Whups, I got into a little geek gagglegook and Ivy bridge is what Intel is bringing out later this year. It is a newer style.

Intel came out last year with IVY Bridge but haven't sold it. IVY Bridge is actually a name of a bridge in Scotland. Sandy Bridge is a name of a place in Tennessee. They are also  names of internal architecture of processors. It is similar to the way K cars became so popular. Chrysler used to name their cars after letters prior to selling them. When Lee Iacoccoa took over Chrysler, the K car was about ready to be revealed. Well, I guess it was a slow news cycle, and journalists didn't want to report about how well Reagan was doing so they reported about Chrysler's K car. When they actually came out with it, the "K" was no where to be found on the car. People didn't buy it and were waiting for the "K" cars. Well, they came out with the car with a New emblem that had "K" on it. It sold. I suspect this is the same thing with "Sandy Bridge" and "IVY Bridge." There are differences which are way beyond the comprehension of me. At least I haven't been able to decipher the Geekese, but eventually I will.

Still, I decided early on that I wanted SPEED!! The last computer I had, was nice, but I couldn't upgrade and I could never get any speed out of it. I experienced the dreaded blue screen of death time and again. Yet my computer still worked, just not with the speed nor with various graphics cards I had installed nor the games that I wanted to play with.   It gave up the ghost and died last year. May it rest in peace. I STILL WANT SPEED.

Intel promises speed and most of the speed demon geeks are using Intel. I will too. AMD is perfectly fine though. The processes to select my mother board are similar for AMD so there is little problem with using my method. Or you can use your own. No problem.

Well, what have we found out? That there are several different CPU's, and motherboards out there. There are several different sockets. Speed is a factor, but highest speeds are very costly.

Next up: Computer motherboard pictures with explanations in English.

No comments:

Post a Comment