Monday, January 23, 2012

Whups, Hold the presses! I have changed my mind!

Previously I had decided to go with Asrock's very fine Extreme 4 Gen 3 board.

It is a very good board. It has some really nice features, but it doesn't have a backup BIOS. A BIOS (Basic Input/Output System) is the very first thing the computer looks at after POST (Post On Self Test). It tells various things for the computer to do. One of the first things it does is notes down what is on the computer, shuts down certain things, like motherboard graphics chipset. It can also shut down the LAN. I found that my wife had shut hers down inadvertently. At least, I hope it was inadvertent. Certain forms of malware can shut down your BIOS. Which basically renders the computer useless. Massive effort to reset and reconfigure the BIOS would be needed to fix the problem. Well, Gigabyte figured a way around it with putting a backup BIOS on board.
This is the one I am going with. I apologize for the poor quailty picture. Currently it is the only one I could find.
GIGABYTE   Z68X-UD3H-B3 
As you can see, GIGABYTE does not believe in keeping installers in the dark.

It has all the features the Asrock has, plus the dual BIOS and a Manual that not only is easy to read, but includes such gems as setting up a RAID hard drive Array. A subject for another column.

Asrock manual was not as detailed as the GIGABYTE.

One more consideration. The GIGABYTE board is cheaper. :-)

Next up : Hard Drives and Solid State Drives. 

















6 comments:

  1. Very nice find. I'd be interested to know more about how a backup BIOS actually works. How is it protected from malware?

    Also, where do you like to go to research parts? I'm considering building an HTPC from the ground up, so I'm clearly going to have different requirements that the machine you're building has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How the backup works is that it is READ ONLY MEMORY on board the computer. Nothing is allowed to overwrite it. You can't even change the settings. Malware so far has never been able to write over ROM.


    I was inspired by Newegg.tv on YouTube. It's tutorials are terrific for people like me. This one, Choose your components, starts far better than any video tutorial I have seen. It features a list of what is needed for an everyday PC.

    This one is a Newegg HTPC Tutorial.
    Part 2 tests the two rigs built in Part 1.

    The main guy speaking goes slow and since it is YouTube, you can pause it and rewind to listen if you missed something. Also, they have a list of parts they gathered for the various builds they do.

    Research on the parts, just involves looking up reviews, manuals and reading what is in them. Along the way, you find fascinating tidbits. This is what I am sharing with you now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. It's been a while since I've built onto a 'puter, so I feel like a n00b again. Everything I've done for the past, wow, ten years I think, is fix broken down laptops. Not a lot of wiggle room there. Pretty much just direct replacements, maybe two or three options on some components.

    I have to confess, I'm not a huge fan of video tutorials. I prefer I well-written step-by-step article with clear photos and maybe a video to show what a still simply can't. But I guess I'll have to get with the times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whups, hold on there pardner! Follow my series and you will be able to put together a computer, HTPC, a server and a few other things. I am going to be putting my computer together. It is the same way as the HTPC. The difference is the components and the software.

    Also if asked politely, I will research the components and the major things to make an HTCP. This series is to enlighten non-geeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well in that case, if you would pretty-please research whatever the doohickey is called that makes the HTPC work with a remote control (like a DVR), that is the one new piece that I know nothing about.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay Try,

    I will do that along with pictures in my next column.

    ReplyDelete